The Leica 250 was also known as Leica “Reporter”. With its large cassettes it accommodated 33 feet of film, so it could be used for up to 250 exposures without re-loading. The feature of 1/1000 sec. as fastest exposure speed, a novelty which was introduced with the Leica Model G, was adopted for the Leica 250 as early as 1936. A large portion of the resulting so-called “GG” model cameras was delivered during World War II. Only very few cameras were equipped with an electric motor drive MOOEV and used for aerial reconnaissance by German warplanes, where they were permanently installed. A maximum of 92 motor drives were built, most of which were lost in the air battles.
Motor #10006 is the earliest example known to exist and, like the camera, is in near mint and perfect working condition. It was delivered on October, 27th 1941 to Bln. Berlin.
The motor drive inside is engraved with camera no. ‘352379’, complete with chrome Elmar 5 cm f/3.5 lens no. 498098.
Literature: Bahman Bawendi, Die Leica 250 mit Elektromotor, VIDOM no. 84, Leica Historica e.V., November 2003, p. 3ff.